white straight ciswoman mid-20s-ish. surrounded by telly. likes words,
I have a hole punch, let's not get big-headed now.
keppps << shallitellyouastory
The truth is, I was bored.
My mother blissing ahead of me, rosebuds rising in her footsteps,
And I skulking behind, thinking,
Oh look. She walks in beauty.
Her power could boil rivers, if she chose.
She doesn’t choose. She scatters
Heliotrope behind her.
And me, I’ve no powers. I think she’d like
A decorative daughter. A link to the humans
She feeds with her scattered wheat.
A daughter wed to a swineherd’s just the thing
To show that Demeter’s a down-to-earth
Kind of goddess.
Do you know what swineherds talk about?
Diseases of, ways to cook;
“That ‘un’s got no milk for ‘er shoats;
Him, there, he’s got boggy trotters.”
And when he leaned in, smiling,
While we sat in a bower sagged with Mother’s honeysuckle,
When he said, “Now,
My herd’s growing and I’m thinking I could feed a wife—”
That’s when I snapped, I howled, I ran.
And when a hole opened up, a beautiful black, in all the pastels of my mother’s sowing.
Let me fix the lie: Nobody grabbed, nobody pulled.
I thought it was a tiny earthquake,
Thought I was killing myself,
Starting a long journey to Hades.
It was a more direct trip
Then I’d imagined—
I landed in his lap.
He just looked at me, said “Well,”
And kept driving his chariot down,
Flicked his leather reins near my face.
He did not give me flowers.
He never spoke of pigs.
Didn’t speak much at all. Just took me down in darkness
And did dark things.
I liked them.
I stumbled through his grey gardens, after,
Sore and smiling.
And the gardener said, “Little girl,
Little sunlit flower,
You belong in the world above.
Trust that they’ll come for nyou,
But while you wait
Don’t eat the food of the dead, for it will trap you here.”
And I said give me the fucking fruit.
But when I ate I could hear her howling,
See her spreading winter on the world.
My poor mother, who missed me after all;
My poor swineherd, starving.
Huddled up for warmth with the few he hadn’t eaten.
I spat out half the seeds.
So now I suffer through the summers,
Smile at the swineherd who tells me
Which shoat is off its feed.
Smile at my mother and walk behind her.
My powers have come to me now, and in her candy-colored wake I scatter
Sundew and flytrap, nettles and belladonna.
I smile and wait for November,
For when I come back to you.
Your clever cold hands and your hard black boots.
I don’t ask what the leather is made from.
I don’t think I want to know.
tagged as: poetry.
reblogged from theobombastus
originally posted by lathyrism
- shadow-spires reblogged this from thelittlestcrane
- nonplussedandbemused likes this
- sunsetchild likes this
- misstaitai reblogged this from lathyrism
- misstaitai likes this
- kiryki reblogged this from lathyrism
- perksofbeinglazy likes this
- roseofphantom reblogged this from lathyrism
- odense likes this
- tophatsandfedoras reblogged this from ladyw1nter
- shadowpup88 likes this
- misguidedkathrynxx reblogged this from rosesnraindrops
- especially-waspish-madam reblogged this from lathyrism
- authocracy likes this
- ceruleanbluebreeze likes this
- melliphagous likes this
- ameliadoesaninternet reblogged this from hellosquareone
- hellosquareone reblogged this from ladyw1nter and added:
- misguidedkathrynxx likes this
- rosesnraindrops reblogged this from lathyrism
- oddityascension reblogged this from ladyw1nter
- shadow-spires likes this
- abed-is-batman-now likes this
- redlemming likes this
- corruptedbyvanity reblogged this from whisperingghosts
- corruptedbyvanity likes this
- cenozoic-willow likes this
- good-better-beth reblogged this from lathyrism
- daydream-johnny likes this
- nipharious likes this
- zenjamaican likes this
- skullybirdman reblogged this from thatferalchild
- thatferalchild reblogged this from graveyarddust
- insert-picture-here likes this
- mindcontroltactics likes this
- quintupledemise reblogged this from demonoflight
- highlordmhoram likes this
- lightandbones likes this
- graveyarddust reblogged this from whisperingghosts
- silvanae reblogged this from whisperingghosts
- torhallatalaksdater reblogged this from whisperingghosts
- torhallatalaksdater likes this
- graveyarddust likes this
- whisperingghosts reblogged this from trollinthekitchen
- abibliotheca reblogged this from lazyscience and added:
- ftoswin reblogged this from trollinthekitchen
- arudem likes this
- trollinthekitchen reblogged this from ladyw1nter
- trollinthekitchen likes this